Thursday, August 6, 2009

What does your next best friend look like?

Ever notice the excitement when two young dogs meet for the first time? Tails wagging, eager to approach, but maybe a little apprehensive because it's a new situation? Ever feel a little jealous about that feeling? We should.

It would be simple to say that young dogs are excitable because they're not as smart as people who work at print shops, (or ad agencies, whatever). They will soon learn that life isn't that full of possibilities, and you might as well chill out. I beg to differ.

I have been around the small business community long enough to know that it's truly impossible to know who will be your next, best customer or client. Profiling doesn't work, and can rule out a lot of good possibilities; the past is not prologue.

At my previous job I went on a sales appointment to a prestigious law firm in Manchester, New Hampshire. I was crestfallen to discover I'd be giving my suit-and-tie sales pitch to the elderly mailroom attendant in her tiny basement office. I figured "What the heck, I'm here", and discussed all the things I'd planned to tell the firm administrator. A week later the actual firm administrator called to say he planned to switch all their printing to our shop, (they had 12 partners and about 50 associates). He said "anyone OK with Mrs McKenzie", (not her real name), "is OK with me".

Getting back to the dogs, I recommend we adopt their naive, idiotic sense of possibility when we meet new people in business. We'll find out soon enough, as will the dogs, whether they play nicely or not. Until we find out for sure, we give them the benefit of the doubt and wonder "are you my new best friend"?

As my wife, Melinda, is fond of saying: More Wagging, Less Barking.

I hope your summer is going well, and look forward to your comments online.

Hugh Butler
Your friend in the printing business

1 comment:

MichaelCalienes said...

good points hugh. though i DO think seeking a type of customer does works, a lot can be said for chance and circumstance. there's no way of knowing where the next will come from, but keeping that positive attitude can certainly assure it will be coming from somehwere. have a great day, sir.